What We Know
- AirPlay VLC from iPhone: Connect iOS and Apple TV to same WiFi → Install VLC → Open VLC → Choose content to play → Click the AirPlay icon → Select your TV → Start streaming.
- AirPlay VLC from Mac: Connect Mac and Apple TV to same WiFi → Install VLC on Mac → Click AirPlay on Mac → Select your TV → On VLC, select Audio → Audio Device → AirPlay → Select Video → Fullscreen → Start streaming.
- AirPlay VLC to Android TV: Enable AirPlay on Android TV → Connect iOS and Android TV to the same WiFi → Open VLC → Play content → Click the AirPlay icon → Select your TV → Start streaming.
The VLC Media Player is compatible with the AirPlay feature. You can use your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to AirPlay video files from VLC to Apple TV or any AirPlay 2 compatible TVs.
VLC Media Player is a free application available for all Apple devices. With the VLC app, you can access offline and online media files. Using the AirPlay feature, you can cast the video files to a bigger screen. In this guide, you will learn different ways to AirPlay the VLC app using your Apple device.
How to AirPlay VLC from iPhone to Apple TV / Smart TV
Before the steps, connect your Apple TV or AirPlay-supported Smart TV and iPhone to the same WiFi network. Alongside this, turn on the AirPlay option on your TV.
1. Search for the VLC media player and install the app from the App Store.
2. Open the VLC media player and accept the storage permissions.
3. Click on a video that you want to play.
4. Once it starts playing, click the Cast icon on the playback screen and tap the AirPlay or Bluetooth option.
5. Select the name of your TV from the nearby devices.
6. Now, the video from the VLC app will appear on your TV.
7. To stop the casting, tap the AirPlay icon again and disconnect the TV.
How to AirPlay VLC from Mac to Apple TV / Smart TV
Initially, go to System Preferences and then click on Displays. On the next window, turn on AirPlay Display and tick the Show mirroring in the Menu bar when available check box. Also, connect your Mac and AirPlay 2 compatible smart TV or Apple TV to the same WiFi network.
1. Install VLC Media Player on your Mac from its official website.
2. After the installation, launch the VLC Media Player.
3. Click the AirPlay or Screen Mirroring icon from the Control Center.
4. Choose your TV to connect from the list of available devices.
5. Next, click the Audio tab at the VLC menu bar.
6. From the drop-down options, click on Audio Device → Mark AirPlay.
7. Following that, go to the Video menu and select Fullscreen.
8. Now, you can stream the content playing on the VLC player on your TV.
9. If you want to stop the casting, tap the AirPlay icon and untick the TV.
How to AirPlay VLC from iPhone or iPad to Android TV
To AirPlay any content to Android TV, you must enable AirPlay on your Android TV.
1. Connect your iPhone or iPad and your Android TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Open the VLC media player on your iPhone and play the content that you want to watch.
3. Click the Cast icon and choose AirPlay or Bluetooth option.
4. From the list of available devices, select your Android TV.
5. Now, the content will stream on your Android TV.
6. To stop the pairing, tap the Cast icon and choose your iPhone from the devices list.
Using the same steps, you can AirPlay the VLC Player app to Samsung Smart TV. Make sure that the AirPlay is enabled on Samsung TV.
How to AirPlay MKV Video Format to Apple TV
Apple TV will not support MKV or AVI format. Therefore, you have to convert it into a playable format before you use AirPlay. For this to work, you should convert the files using third-party apps like Subler, HandBrake, or Permute.
Convert MKV to MP4 using HandBrake
1. Visit the HandBrake website and install the app on your Mac.
2. After installing it, open the HandBrake app and click the Source button on the toolbar.
3. Next, tap Open file and browse for the appropriate MKV file.
4. Select the folder where you want to save the converted file.
5. Tap Start to begin the conversion.
Once the process is completed, you can follow the previous method to mirror VLC from Mac.
Similarly, we can also AirPlay Netflix and YouTube videos from Apple devices to Apple TV or other compatible devices.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, enable the AirPlay feature on Roku. Then, go to the AirPlay or Bluetooth option on VLC and choose Roku device.