AirPlay simplifies the process of sharing content between iPhone and Mac. If you have finished streaming the content, it is necessary to turn off AirPlay on your macOS. There are different ways to turn off AirPlay on your macOS which is much simpler than turning off AirPlay on an iPhone.
In this article, you will learn how to disable AirPlay on a Mac to stop sharing or receiving content.
How to Turn Off AirPlay on Mac
If you have macOS Ventura 13 or above, you can turn off AirPlay on your macOS using these steps.
1. Click the Control Center icon on your Mac device at the top of the screen.
2. Tap the Screen Mirroring option and tap the device to disconnect AirPlay.
3. If the Screen mirroring icon does not appear on the menu bar, click the Apple icon from the menu bar.
4. Scroll down to the System Preferences option.
5. Choose the Display tab at the bottom of the Built-in Retina Display window.
6. Click the AirPlay Display menu and select the off option from the drop-down menu.
7. By doing so, the AirPlay icon would disappear from the menu bar.
How to Disconnect AirPlay Audio on Mac
If you are playing the audio via AirPlay-compatible speakers, you can disconnect the speaker and listen to the audio from the Mac itself.
1. Click on the Control Center option at the top right corner of the screen.
2. Click on the AirPlay icon, and choose Mac’s built-in speaker.
3. By doing so, the audio will play on the Mac default speakers.
Note: If you have an iPad, you can refer to our guide to disable AirPlay on your iPad.
How to Disable AirPlay Receiver on Mac
1. Click on the Apple icon at the top-left corner of the screen, and click on the System Preferences option.
2. Go to the Sharing option, and ensure to remove the check mark next to the AirPlay receiver.
Note: In case you wish to keep some devices readily available on Mac. You can leave the check mark and change the Allow AirPlay for the option to Current user or Anyone on the same network option.
- Current user – Allows devices that are already connected to the same Apple ID.
- Anyone on the same network – It allows all the Apple devices that are on the same network.
- Everyone – It allows all Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, or Mac)
If the AirPlay icon is missing on your Mac, you can enable it by tweaking some settings. Tap the Apple icon > Click System Preferences > Select Displays > Check the Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available. Now the AirPlay icon will appear on your macOS.
If you are frustrated entering the AirPlay passcode each time you share content on Mac, turn off the Require Password option. Go to System Preferences > Sharing > AirPlay receiver > Uncheck the Require Password box.