What We Know
- Turn Off AirPlay from Media Player: Go to the Media player on iPhone → Click on the AirPlay icon → Select Turn Off AirPlay to stop video playback.
- From Control Center’s Media Player: On iPhone, open Control Center → Click AirPlay icon on Music Widget → Select iPhone.
- To Turn Off Screen Mirroring: Go to iPhone Control Center → Hit Screen Mirroring icon → Choose the connected device → Select Stop Mirroring to turn off AirPlay.
- On Apple Music App: Launch Apple Music app → Click AirPlay icon on playback screen → Select iPhone to turn off AirPlay.
- On Apple TV App: Open Apple TV App → Click the Blue AirPlay icon → Tap on iPhone to disconnect AirPlay.
- Turn Off AirPlay from iPhone Lock Screen: On iPhone Lock Screen, select AirPlay icon → Select iPhone to shut off AirPlay.
- Disable Automatic AirPlay: Go to Settings on iOS → General → AirPlay & Handoff → Automatically AirPlay to TVs → Never.
Apple eases the process of screen mirroring and sharing content from iPhone to AirPlay and AirPlay 2-compatible TV, speakers, or receivers. Post-sharing, iPhone users often forget to disconnect or turn off AirPlay. As a result, AirPlay automatically reconnects to the previously used device when it is in the range. Hence it is advisable to know how to shut off AirPlay on iPhone to prevent the content from being screen mirrored at any time later. Since the procedure to turn on AirPlay differs for music and video, anyone would look for guidelines on how to turn off AirPlay on iPhone.
How to Turn Off AirPlay on iPhone from Media Player
Assuming that you are streaming a video from an app and you can see an AirPlay icon on the media gallery on your iPhone,
. You can turn off AirPlay by simply tapping the AirPlay icon available in the app you are streaming.
. When a pop-up appears at the bottom of the screen, click on the Turn off AirPlay option from the list.
How to Turn Off AirPlay on iPhone from Control Center’s Media Player
If you have been AirPlaying or screen mirroring a song or audio instead of a video, then you can turn off AirPlay from the Control Center of the iPhone.
. Launch the Control Center on your iPhone based on the model you own.
- To turn off AirPlay on iPhone 11, 12, 13, X & XS (without the Home button): Swipe from the top of the screen toward the bottom.
- To turn off AirPlay on iPhone 8, 7, 6, SE, and older models with the Home button: Swipe from the bottom towards up.
. Now, click on the Music widget in the Control Center and tap on the AirPlay icon.
. Tap on the iPhone name to shut off the AirPlay connection.
Note: An overflow menu appears showing the device connected with your iPhone under Speakers & TVs. Turning off AirPlay will disconnect iPhone from the connected device.
How to Turn Off Screen Mirroring from Control Center
. To stop Screen Mirroring, you must first open the Control Center on your iPhone.
- You can open it by either swiping down from the top right corner on iPhone models without a Home button or swiping up from the bottom on iPhone models with a Home button.
. Click on the Screen Mirroring icon present in the Control Center.
. You’ll be shown a list of AirPlay-connected devices.
. Select the device you wish to stop screen mirroring.
. Click Stop Mirroring to disconnect screen sharing.
How to Turn Off AirPlay from Apple Music App on iPhone
If you are using the Apple Music app, you can turn off AirPlay from within the app.
. Open the Apple Music App on the iPhone device, and navigate to the playback screen.
. If the Apple Music AirPlay is active, we can see the device at the bottom of the screen, near the AirPlay icon.
. Now, click on the AirPlay icon option.
. A new screen would appear, with the list of devices, under the Speakers & TVs tab.
. Tap on the iPhone you wish to disconnect from the list and stop the screen casting.
How to Turn Off AirPlay on iPhone Via Apple TV App
If you are using iPhone to stream movies or TV shows via the Apple TV app, turning off AirPlay is easy.
. On the iPhone, if you are streaming any content via the Apple TV app, you will find the AirPlay button in blue at the bottom left corner of the screen. Click on it.
. An overflow menu would pop up, with all the connected devices listed under the Speakers & TVs tab.
. Click on the iPhone device from the list and disable AirPlay.
How to Turn Off AirPlay on iPhone Lock Screen
. In case you are streaming any content from your iPhone via AirPlay. We will be able to turn the AirPlay OFF from the Lock screen.
. Click on the AirPlay icon that is available next to the name of the streaming content.
. On the overflow menu, you can see the name of the AirPlay device listed under the Speakers & TVs tab.
. Now, click on the iPhone device. By doing so, AirPlay would be disabled.
How to Disable Automatic AirPlay on iPhone & iPad
It is possible to turn off AirPlay on your iPhone so that it won’t automatically connect to the available devices.
. Launch the iPhone Settings app.
. Navigate to select General.
. Highlight AirPlay & Handoff.
. Click on the Automatically AirPlay to TVs.
. Now, select Never and this disables AirPlay to automatically connect to devices.
That’s how you can change AirPlay Settings on your iPhone.
Frequently Asked Questions
To turn off AirPlay on Vizio TV, go to the Smartcast Home screen and click Extras >> Apple AirPlay. Then turn it off.