What We Know
- Causes: Poor Internet Connection, AirPlay is disabled, Malfunction in devices or router, Sony TV is outdated.
- Fixes: Check the Internet Connection, Check Whether AirPlay Homekit is Enabled, AirPlay is Disabled, Restart Sony TV, Update Sony TV, Factory Reset Sony TV, and Contact Sony TV Support.
Sony TV is one of the most used Android smart TVs. Because of its powerful features and operating system, you can download apps, stream and watch high-quality content, etc. Like Apple TV, the latest Sony TV models have the AirPlay feature by default, allowing you to connect with Apple devices. To watch your favorite content on the big screen, you can AirPlay Sony TV from iPhone/Mac. Sometimes, AirPlay stops working due to technical glitches or issues with the Sony TV. Apart from this, you might also come across AirPlay lagging on Sony TV. It is vital to resolve the issue by performing reliable troubleshooting methods on your Sony TV.
Possible Causes for AirPlay Not Working on Sony TV
- Poor or fluctuating internet connection.
- Airplay HomeKit is disabled.
- Temporary malfunction in device or router.
- Sony TV is outdated and needs to be updated to the latest version.
Fixes for AirPlay Not Working on Sony TV
- Check the Internet Connection
- Check Whether AirPlay Homekit is Enabled
- AirPlay is Disabled
- Restart Sony TV
- Update Sony TV
- Factory Reset Sony TV
- Contact Sony TV Support
Check the Internet Connection
A stable WiFi connection is mandatory for AirPlay content to devices. To AirPlay, you must connect your Sony TV and the AirPlay device to the same WiFi network.
1. Go to Settings on your Sony Smart TV.
2. Next, select Network & Internet → Advanced Settings → Network Status.
3. Then, choose Check Connection.
4. Wait for the Do you want to check the connection? prompt to appear on your Sony TV.
5. Select Yes. The connection details will be displayed.
Similarly, check if your iOS/Mac device internet is stable.
Check Whether AirPlay Homekit is Enabled
You can’t AirPlay without enabling the Homekit on your smart TV.
1. Press the Home button and go to Settings.
2. Next, select Device Preferences → AirPlay & Homekit Settings.
3. Now, select Set Up Homekit and displays the QR code.
4. Scan the code using the Home app and configure it.
5. Finally, select Allow when asked to Allow mobile devices to turn on this TV.
Now, try connecting to AirPlay when there are no issues.
Check if AirPlay is Disabled
Sometimes, the Airplay may be disabled on your smart TV. It can happen when you disable AirPlay on your iPhone or Mac by mistake.
1. Navigate to Settings on your smart TV.
2. Select Device Preferences, then select AirPlay & Homekit settings.
3. Select AirPlay and turn it on using the remote if disabled.
That’s how to enable AirPlay on Sony Bravia TV when turned off.
Restart Sony TV
When AirPlay is not functioning on your Sony TV, the first and foremost thing is to restart your device. But, before that, ensure both the devices (Sony TV & AirPlay device) are connected to the same WiFi network. If it is not connected, it may be the cause for the AirPlay not working issue. To restart, press the home button on your Sony TV remote and hold it for a few seconds. You can see the Power Off message appears on your Sony TV.
After a minute, the Sony TV will turn on automatically. Once it is turned on, try connecting the device to your Sony TV via AirPlay.
Always check if all the devices you use in AirPlay are up-to-date. Because using outdated firmware can also be a reason for the issue.
Update Sony TV
If restarting doesn’t resolve the issue, try updating your Sony TV.
1. Go to Help by pressing the Home button on the remote. If your smart TV runs on Android 8 and later, Go to Apps → Help.
2. Navigate to Status & Diagnostics → System Software → Update.
3. Sony TV automatically checks for an update. Proceed if the update is available.
After updating Sony TV, try connect to the Apple device via AirPlay and check if the issue gets fixed.
Go to Settings → General → Software Update → Tap Download and Install.
If you are using Mac as your AirPlay device, then try to update your Mac.
Click on Apple Menu in the Control Center → System Preferences → Software Update. Now, Mac checks for the update automatically. Click Upgrade Now when the update is available.
Factory Reset Sony TV
If the AirPlay is not working on your Sony TV, you can try resetting it.
1. Go to Settings after pressing the Home button.
2. Select Device Preferences → Reset. For older versions, navigate to Device Preferences → Storage → Reset.
3. Choose Factory Reset and select Erase Everything on the next screen.
4. Select Yes on confirmation.
After resetting, connect to the AirPlay device and check if it works fine. If not, you can skip to the next troubleshooting method.
Contact Sony TV Support
When none of the troubleshooting methods resolve the issue, you can contact Sony TV support to resolve the issue immediately with a solution. You can contact them either by phone call or by a chat with the agent.
How to Fix AirPlay Lagging on Sony TV
Apart from AirPlay not working on Sony TV, you might get into lagging issues. Although the above fixes resolve the issue, you can try out the below things when it isn’t the case.
Improve Internet Signal Strength
AirPlay feature relies on a stable internet connection to transmit data from iOS/Mac devices to Sony TV. Connected your device to a stable and high-speed internet connection for seamless data transfer via AirPlay. To improve the signal strength in your WIFI network,
- Keep your devices close to the router to improve the WIFI signal strength.
- Remove the physical obstructions to maintain a line of sight between the router and streaming devices.
- Get an Ethernet cable and connect your TV directly to your router instead of connecting wirelessly.
- Restart your router as well as all other devices.
- Upgrade your Router Firmware.
- Check whether Bluetooth is enabled and stay connected to your Apple device.
- Turn off cellular data and Bluetooth on other nearby devices to reduce the chance of interference.
- Remove other devices connected to the same network and turn off all the nearby electrical devices, such as microwave ovens.
- Run the Wireless Diagnostics app of macOS if you use Mac to AirPlay to Sony TV.
Note: We recommend you check out the procedure to use AirPlay Without WiFi in different ways to take advantage when your internet connection is poor or unstable.
Use Dual/Tri-Band Router
To improve the wireless performance in your router, use a dual- or tri-band router that supports 2.4 and 5 GHz signals. Many users have found that using the 2.4 GHz band has greatly reduced the lagging issues while trying to stream via AirPlay. Replace your router with a Dual or Tri-band Router to avoid buffering or lagging issues on your TV. It will help you to stream your favorite content on 4K resolution rather than switching to a lower resolution to avoid the lagging of your TV.
Important Note: If you are screen mirroring from the Mac PC, you must ensure that the Firewall settings on Mac aren’t interrupted. When AirPlay is blocked, you might come across this issue.
First, make sure Sony Bravia TV and the Android device are connected to the same network. Next, check whether the AirPlay feature is enabled on the Sony TV or the Apple Devices.
In case you come across no sound on AirPlay, simply power reset the TV by unplugging it from the power supply for a minute. And check on the same to see if the issue is fixed.