What We Know
- From iOS: Go to Control Center → Tap Screen Mirroring → Select your AirPlay device → Open Google Drive → Play a Video → Watch on TV.
- From Mac: Launch Google Chrome on Mac → Visit the Google Drive website → Play a media file → Click Control Center → Select Screen Mirroring → Select your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV.
Google Drive is a cloud-based file storage service introduced by Google. It allows the users to upload media files such as photos, documents, videos, and music to your drive for free. Check if you can access those files by syncing devices through your Google account. For example, if you have movies on Google Drive, you can play them instantly on Apple TV via AirPlay.
How to Screen Mirror Google Drive to TV from iOS
If you want to stream media files from Google Drive to Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV, screen mirroring is the only option. Therefore, you need to connect your TV and iPhone or iPad to the same WIFI network.
1. Go to the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Search for Google Drive and install the app from the App Store.
3. Open the Google Drive app after the installation.
4. Sign in to your Google account.
5. Make sure to upload media files to My Drive if you haven’t uploaded them yet.
6. Go to the Control Center and select the Screen Mirroring option.
7. Next, choose your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV from the available devices.
8. Enter the AirPlay passcode displayed on the TV screen.
9. Your iPhone screen gets mirrored to the selected device.
10. Go back to the Google Drive app and play a video, which will simultaneously play on your TV.
Related: You shall find out the difference between AirPlay Vs. AirPlay 2.
Alternate Method: AirPlay using LocalCast
LocalCast is a third-party app to cast videos, photos, or music from iPhone or iPad to Apple TV, Chromecast, or Smart TV. Moreover, it supports media sharing from Google Photos, Google Drive, NAS, DLNA/UPnP, and Dropbox.
1. Download the LocalCast app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Connect your Apple TV and iOS to the same WIFI network.
3. Open the LocalCast app on your iOS device.
4. From the left sidebar, tap Google Drive.
5. Allow all permissions and follow the on-screen instructions to sync Google Drive media files.
6. Click the Cast icon on the home page and turn on Apple TV for discovery.
7. Select Apple TV to start screen mirroring.
8. Click on a Google Drive video on LocalCast to start streaming on Apple TV.
How to Screen Mirror Google Drive to TV from Mac
Although Google Drive lacks the AirPlay feature, you shall access Google Drive by Screen Mirroring from Mac to TV.
1. First, ensure that Mac and AirPlay-supported TV are connected to the same WIFI network.
2. Launch Google Chrome on Mac.
3. Go to drive.google.com to access Google Drive.
4. Open the My Drive folder and play a video you want to screen mirror.
Note: If you don’t have video files on Google Drive, click on the New icon from the left pane and select File Upload.
Related: If you come across AirPlay Not Working on iPhone, iPad, & Mac, you shall check out the fixes to troubleshoot the issue.
5. Alongside this, click the Control Center icon on Mac at the top menu bar.
6. Then click the Screen Mirroring icon in the drop-down options.
7. Following that, select your TV name from the available devices.
8. Lastly, your Mac screen has been mirrored to the TV.
Start watching Google Drive videos on TV using screen mirroring.
Frequently Asked Questions
First, install the SmartThings app on your Android or iOS smartphone. Then connect both devices to the same WIFI network. Open the SmartThings app → Select your TV → Tap More options → Click on Mirror Screen or Smart View → Select Start now → Open the Google Drive app and start accessing it via mirroring.
Open a presentation in the Google Slides app on your iOS device. Connect iOS and Apple TV to the same WIFI network. Open the Control Center and tap Screen Mirroring. Select your Apple TV to screen mirror the presentation on Google Slides.