Reddit is a community platform where people come together to have the most informative and authentic conversation over the internet via live video streams, chats, and talks. However, when the users try to watch all the content using Reddit on a larger TV screen via AirPlay, they might face AirPlay not working. To eradicate the technical issues involved, here we came up with simple troubleshooting techniques that can help you stream Reddit videos and their content on your AirPlay 2-compatible TV without interruption.
Possible Causes for Reddit AirPlay Not Working
- Your device doesn’t support the AirPlay feature.
- The internet connection is poor and unstable.
- AirPlay devices are connected to different network connections.
- Devices connected to AirPlay are muted or locked.
- Your devices run on outdated software and need to be updated.
- Firewalls or browser extensions/plugins are blocking AirPlay.
How to Fix Reddit AirPlay Not Working
- Check AirPlay compatibility
- Check internet connection
- Turn off and on the WIFI
- Re-Establish WIFI and AirPlay Connection
- Unlock & unmute the devices
- Check software update
- Check firewall
- Uninstall and Reinstall Reddit App
- Check the Reddit Server Status
- Restart iOS and Smart TV
Check AirPlay Compatibility
Before checking your WIFI network and signal strength, ensure you own an AirPlay 2-compatible TV. Check your TV model and verify whether it supports the AirPlay/AirPlay 2 feature. For an iOS device, you should update to iOS 4.2 or later to use the AirPlay feature.
Check Internet Connection
AirPlay must be connected to a stable, high-speed internet signal to work as expected. Visit fast.com to check your internet speed. To improve the signal strength, bring the WIFI router close to the TV to establish the AirPlay function.
In addition, it is also essential to ensure that you have connected your Apple or AirPlay devices to the same network. Thus you can AirPlay any content between the connected device.
Turn WIFI On and Off
If you have connected both of your devices to the same WIFI network and still have trouble with AirPlay, turn WIFI off and on. Also, on your iOS devices, enable the Airplane mode and then turn it off.
In Mac, you can turn off and on WIFI by clicking the WIFI icon on the top right of the screen. After turning off the WIFI, wait for 30 seconds and then turn it on.
Re-Establish WIFI and AirPlay Connection
The easiest way to fix the AirPlay not working issue is to re-establish the WIFI and AirPlay connection.
- Enable the AirPlay mode on all your mirroring devices.
- Make sure that no other devices are connected to the AirPlay.
- Ensure you have turned off the AirPlane mode to establish the network connection.
- Reboot the WIFI router by disconnecting the cables and connecting them back.
Unlock & UnMute Devices
To avoid connection failures, you should keep your devices unlocked. Also, the volume of the devices from which you AirPlay (iOS or Mac) should not be low or muted. Avoid putting your device in silent mode while connecting the devices via AirPlay.
Check Software Update
Using the latest software version on your device will greatly help you to stream the contents of Reddit on your TV without any issues. And also, if you intend to stream music to multiple audio devices at once, you should have an iPhone or iPad with iOS 11.4 or later. For streaming audio via Mac, you should need iTunes 12.8 or later to use the AirPlay 2 feature for streaming audio. For streaming videos via Mac, you need iTunes 10.4.5+ or later. Furthermore, it is also essential to update the Reddit app with the latest software version to make your app more flexible with inherited new features from the latest update.
Update Reddit App
- On your iOS device, launch the App Store.
- Tap the Search icon and type Reddit in the search box.
- Click the Update option to update Reddit to the latest version.
Check iOS Version
- On your iOS device, go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Hit the Software Update option.
- Click Install to update the iOS device to its latest software.
Update TV Firmware
- On your TV remote, press the Home button.
- From the home screen, choose Settings.
- Select Support and tap Software Update.
- Then, click the Update Now option to update the TV OS to its latest version.
While using Mac to stream the contents via AirPlay, you have to check the firewall settings to ensure that it is not blocking the AirPlay.
1). Go to System Preferences on your Mac.
2). Then, select Display and choose the Firewall section.
3). If the Firewall is turned on, uncheck the Block all incoming connections check box.
4). Then, check in the Automatically allow downloaded signed software to receive incoming connections check box and click OK.
Uninstall and Reinstall Reddit App
While we are busy troubleshooting the devices, we might ignore the underlying issues with the app. The app files may get corrupted sometimes, or that technical bugs and glitches get accumulate in the app files that hinder the proper functioning of the AirPlay feature within the app. To resolve the issue, you can try uninstalling the app from the device and reinstalling it again. This process replaces all the corrupted and bug-ridden files with new data files and thereby eliminates the underlying issue.
Check the Reddit Server Status
There are times Reddit gets server outages. So, if you try to AirPlay while the server is down or under maintenance, you may face issues. To discover the status of the server, visit Reddit’s official Twitter handle. Alternatively, you shall visit Downdetector to check the real-time server outage. If you find any downtime, wait for the outage to resolve from the developer’s end.
Restart iOS and Smart TV
Restarting the devices will clear up the software issues related to AirPlay, and it prevents video crashing and buffering.
Restart iOS device
- On your iOS device, long press the Volume button and sleep/wake button.
- Choose the Restart option to power off the device.
- Press the Power button once again to turn on the device.
Restart Smart TV
To restart your smart TV, turn off and unplug all the cables. After a few minutes, replug it into the power source and turn on the device to restart your TV to resolve Reddit AirPlay not working issues.
While streaming the contents from the browser on your Mac, you have to make sure that browser extensions or plugins installed on your browser are not blocking AirPlay. To stop this, you must disable the browser extensions and plug-ins one by one and check if any extensions or plugins are blocking the AirPlay connection. Furthermore, clear the browser cache and cookies to remove the loaded or corrupted data files in your Mac browser.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you see a black screen while trying to connect devices via AirPlay, it may be because of an internet issue. Check whether both devices are on the same network by the following steps.
1). On your iOS device, go to Settings.
2). Select WIFI and notice the network name.
3). On your Apple TV, go to Settings and select General.
4). Then, choose Network and check whether it is the same as the iOS device network.
Yes. You can stream the contents from iOS devices to your TV by plugging the HDMI cable into the HDMI port to connect both devices.