What We Know
- AirPlay FaceTime from iPhone/iPad: Connect iPhone/iPad and TV to same WiFi → Open Control Centre → Select Screen Mirroring → Choose TV → Make a FaceTime call on iPhone → View on TV.
- AirPlay FaceTime from Mac: Connect Mac and TV to same WiFi → On your Mac, click Control Centre → Tap Screen Mirroring → Make a FaceTime call → Watch on TV.
Do you want to AirPlay FaceTime video calls to your Apple TV or AirPlay 2-enabled TV? You’ve come to the right place. You can use the screen mirroring feature on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to mirror FaceTime video calls to the TV. Thus, it helps you connect with your family and friends and interact with them on a big screen with the help of a WiFi network.
In this article, you will learn how to make a FaceTime call and screen mirror it to your Apple TV or Smart TV in easy steps.
How to Make a FaceTime Call on iPhone or iPad
1. Open the FaceTime app on your iPhone or iPad.
2. Click on New FaceTime and enter the phone number or email address of a person you want to call.
3. Choose the name and click on the Audio button or FaceTime icon.
How to Screen Mirror FaceTime from iPhone/iPad
You will need to turn on FaceTime on your iPhone/iPad to screen mirror it to your Apple TV. To do so, launch the FaceTime app on your Apple device and sign in with your Apple ID.
Note: You can also go to Settings → FaceTime → Use your Apple ID for FaceTime → Sign in with your Apple ID.
1. Connect your iPhone/iPad and Apple TV or Smart TV to the same WiFi network.
2. After that, go to the Control Centre and select the Screen Mirroring icon on your iOS device.
3. Choose your TV from the nearby available connections list.
4. Enter the AirPlay code displayed on the TV screen.
5. Now, make a FaceTime call using the above instructions.
Using screen mirroring, you can start watching FaceTime calls on your TV. But, when you are done with the call, make sure to turn off AirPlay on your iPhone.
Alternative Way to Screen Mirror FaceTime from iPhone
If your Smart TV is incompatible with AirPlay, you can use a Lightning to Digital AV Adapter and the HDMI cable to mirror FaceTime from an iPhone to your TV.
1. Connect the Lightning cable of the adapter to your iPhone.
2. Now, plug the one end of the HDMI cable into the adapter.
3. Then, connect the other end of the HDMI cable to the HDMI port on your TV.
4. Go to the Input/Source settings on your Smart TV.
5. Choose the input source (HDMI port) to which you have connected the HDMI cable.
6. Once connected, your iPhone screen will be mirrored to your TV.
7. Make a call on the FaceTime app and view it on your TV.
Note: You can also join the FaceTime calls through a web browser. If you have a non-Apple device, you can still join a FaceTime call using a web link shared by your friend or family member.
How to Screen Mirror FaceTime from Mac
1. Initially, connect your Mac and TV to the same WiFi network.
2. Click the Control Centre icon located at the top menu bar.
3. Tap on the Screen Mirroring option and choose your Apple TV or AirPlay-compatible Smart TV.
4. If prompted, enter the AirPlay passcode to connect.
5. Lastly, make a FaceTime call on your Mac using the built-in app.
Once the FaceTime call ends, disable AirPlay on your Mac to stop mirroring your Mac to the TV.
How to Fix AirPlay Not Working on FaceTime
Sometimes, you may experience AirPlay not working issues in the FaceTime app. It happens due to the unstable network, uncleared cache, outdated app or device firmware, or the enabled Airplane mode. We recommend trying the troubleshooting methods to fix the issue.
- Restart your WiFi router or modem.
- Uninstall and reinstall the FaceTime app from the App Store.
- Turn off Airplane mode on your iPhone/iPad, if it is turned on.
- Restart your Apple device (iPhone, iPad, or Mac) and Apple TV or Smart TV.
- Update your Apple device and the Smart TV to the latest firmware.
How to Watch Video Together on FaceTime Using SharePlay
1. Make a FaceTime call to your friends or family.
2. Go to the home screen and open a streaming app that supports SharePlay.
Note: Apps like Apple TV+, Disney+, HBO Max, and Hulu are SharePlay supported.
3. Choose a TV show or movie and click the Play button.
4. Then, click on Play for Everyone, so we will be able to watch the video together.
No. The FaceTime app is unavailable for Apple TV. Instead, you can AirPlay to Apple TV from an iPhone or Mac.
Yes. You can join a FaceTime call using a web link you received. Open that link from any browser to join one-on-one and Group calls from an Android or any other device.
Yes. It is possible to AirPlay to Samsung TV. For that, install the AirBeamTV app on your iPhone. Connect your Samsung TV to the same WiFi network as your iPhone. Next, open the AirBeam TV app and select your Samsung TV as the AirPlay receiver. Tap Start Broadcasting and make a FaceTime call.